Monday, February 22, 2010

Updates with a Review

A few updates on the TH Big and Barrel Week. It appears that the kegs are being tapped at 12 and available in a growler and in a 10 oz pour. Also, it seems as if they have a decent amount of growlers available. I was expecting them to sell out right away, but I guess not. My guess is that the BA Czar Jack will be gone fast. I heard from a few buddies that the beers released today were great. I am looking forward to my trip down to the cities.

Now for the review. Today I am drinking Bristol's Old No. 23 Barley Wine. I got this from a buddy in Colorado. Thanks Andy!

2009 Vintage

Poured this one into my Old Guardian glass.

As I pour it, it seems as if it is flat, but after a few seconds the carbonation kicks in and a half finger of head of khaki head forms. It then settles pretty fast. Not a lot of lace left. Color is a dark copper brown with a slight ruby hue to it.

Aroma: Big and malty with a nice layer of hops as well. Lots of caramel and toffee flavors mixed with some pine hops. It also has some dark dried fruits in the background. Maybe some raisins and dried cherries. The aroma is very good, but not that big.

Taste: Again, big malt flavor. This is a pretty big beer. The toffee sticks out a lot more than the caramel here. Also the malt seems to have covered up more of the pine hops, but they are there to balance it out a bit. This beer packs a little heat to it. It is sweet with the cherries a little more present here. Also has some molasses and raisin flavors.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, creamy, and a little hot. Full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry and very sweet.

Overall, not a bad barleywine at all. I think this is a local and a solid local at that. I am very glad I got to try this one. I hadn't had a barleywine in awhile and Bigfoot hasn't shown up yet, so this will hold me over. It did remind me of Bigfoot with a year or two on it. Not as many hops as bigfoot fresh, but once the hops fade a bit, then these two are comparable.

Thanks for reading!
-Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment