Thursday, February 11, 2010

A random rant on Tickers


First off, what is a ticker? In the world of beer, a ticker is simply somebody who tries to drink as many different beers as possible and then mark it off a 'check list.' Nothing wrong with this. The problem becomes when the person goes and writes a two sentence (approximately) review on the beer and post it to a website where people review beer. Of course, everybody likes to try as many new beers as they can, but actually writing a review on them can get a little ridiculous when going to events or tastings.

In all honesty, writing a 2 sentence review helps nobody and doing it is pointless. The only thing it manages to do is keep track of the beers you have had. For the most part, my go to site (beeradvocate) doesn't have too many tickers. The top review on the site is however a ticker and the reviews are of course are terrible. I don't even bother wasting my time reading them because they lack quality and don't inform me about the beer.

Is this article going to stop people from ticking? No. Do I have a problem with tickers? No. Do I think posting low quality reviews that say nothing is pointless? Yes. I just wanted to get the message out there about tickers and how useless it can be. I enjoy writing reviews on beers and like to put a lot of thought into them so others can enjoy them and I can come back to them some day and see what I thought about a particular beer. How can somebody possibly do that with a mere few sentences?

Thanks for reading!
-Ben

1 comment: