Monday, February 8, 2010

Rogue let me down.


So a few buddies and I sampled Rogue's John John Ale the other night. This beer is their Dead Guy Ale aged in their empty Dead Guy Whiskey barrels. To me, the concept sounded great. Let's age one of our beers in one of our barrels. The end product, however, was not so great.

Poured this into my Bruery Snifter.

It pours a clear golden yellow. I smelled it and tasted it and it wasn't very flavorful. One of the guys at the store said to mix in the sediment on the bottom of the bottle to get some flavor into the beer so that is what I did.

The beige head that is poured is a very small layer. The color then turns out a little better with the sediment and becomes a golden sunset orange.

Aroma: Reminds me of a Belgian Pale Ale, which I find to be odd. Has some cloves with lots of malt. Very light whiskey flavor.

Taste: More whiskey here, but still pretty light. Can't taste a lot of the dead guy flavors in the beer. Again, I get cloves and malt. Nothing is too distinguishable for the flavor. Fairly light flavored.

Mouthfeel: Dry and smooth. Lighter bodied with a lower to medium level of carbonation. Ends fairly clean.

Overall, this beer was simply odd. It didn't have a lot going on. I didn't pick up too much of the base beer in the flavor. I really don't expect a lot of this to sell at the price of near $9 a bomber. This beer just didn't taste anything like I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment