Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Follow up on Bell's Batch 9000

So Bell's Batch 9000 has finally been released and Moorhead was lucky to get some in today so I will be cracking one up and throwing down a review! I originally posted about this beer, so if you need details on it, you can check that out as well.
Poured into Bell's Snifter glass.

Pours 1 fingers of creamy, yet a little fizzy, mocha tan head. Color pours a dark caramel brown, but settles black in the glass. Not as dark as I was expecting.

Aroma: Right away, I can already tell this is going to be a sweet beer. Lots of molasses and licorice as the bottle suggests. Some caramel, roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate also present. A little smokey as well, but very sweet.

Taste: This is a pretty interesting imperial stout. It is extremely sweet and syrupy. It reminds me a little of Darkness 2008. Tons of molasses and licorice with a big malt backbone. Some dark dried fruits like cherries and raisins add to the sweetness level. Big chocolate and coffee notes with some roasted malt. The aftertaste brings even more licorice.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, syrupy, creamy, and smooth. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends sweet and dry.

Overall, this beer is solid. I think aging it in the cellar might do some great things for the beer. It is really young right now and needs a little time to develop and round out. I do love the sweetness of this beer. I am glad I got to try it. Drinkable as well.

If you have a chance to try this one, it is worth the price. It will retail around $17 per 6er, but for over 3 bombers of an imperial stout, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for reading. I will get details about my failed attempt to going to Boston for the EBF.

Cheers,
Ben

1 comment:

  1. 9000 is amazing, 12.5% ABV will take it's toll quickly though.

    ReplyDelete