Friday, March 12, 2010

My beef with JL Beers

I went to JL beers a while back and had a bad experience there so I didn't want to post anything before I gave them a second chance. The bartenders were rude, pushy, and demanding. They seemed to be very snobby and thought they new a ton about craft beer when almost half of there selection consists of Rootbeer, cider, or BMC products.

Anyways, I decided to venture back for a second round since I figured I would try a Rogue Chocolate Stout on tap. I get there and the place is filled (only seats 24 people), but my buddy and I found a table in the back.

A bartender came up to us instantly and asked what we wanted but we wanted to look at the menu for a bit (which didn't take too long). Then another bartender came up to us and I asked if I could have a sample of a beer to see if I wanted an entire pint of it. She simply said I had to order a flight if I wanted to have a sample. Most real beer bars will pour you a small sample. Strike 1. So I decided to simply order a Rogue Chocolate Stout since it was the only reasonably priced beer for the quality there. The beer is served with the head overflowing and the glass sticky with beer on it... sure. (review posted at the end)

I am sipping on my beer and happen to notice that same bartender give two customers a sample of a beer. I could be wrong, but I think she said they don't do that and you need to by a flight. Strike 2. I am a little upset at this point.

I continue jotting notes on my beer and observe the bar some more to see that the same bartender decides she is thirsty and pours herself some beer. Strike 3. If you are working at a beer bar you wait until after you are done working for a beer. I have worked at a bar before and we never drank on the job. Who really wants to be served by employees that are drinking on the job?

A few other things that really made me wonder about this bar:

1) Last call at 11:43 on a Friday night?
2) We simply asked for out bill to be split into to checks (shouldn't be that hard, right?) and the bartender brings us one bill. Awesome service.
3) They claim to be a beer bar. I have never seen a beer bar with Blue Moon, Bud Light, Coors Light, Guiness, Hoegaarden, Kokanee, Leinenkugel's, Miller Light, Newcastle, Rootbeer, Stella, and Woodchuck all on tap. Many of the other beers are hardly considered craft beer.
4) A short is 16 oz and a tall is a little over 20 oz (I believe). Hmmm... a pint being a short pour? Good marketing I guess...?

I was excited to see that Fargo was getting a beer bar and I like what they are trying to do, but I won't be going back anytime soon. I would rather drink something decent at home. I understand that Fargo can't get a lot of great beers, but charging over $6 for a two hearted (their best beer on tap) and taking up tap line space with macros is terrible. I almost forgot to mention it cost $20 for a bottle of Lindemans. Yikes. The terrible service, no space, and tap line (or lack of) will keep me away from this place.

Here is a review of my beer, which was decent.

Served in a pint glass.

Served with 1/2 finger of creamy chocolate milk colored head. Fades to a thin layer. Some sticky lace left. Color is a dark chocolate.

Aroma: Some toasted malts and cocoa powder. Not to much for the nose, but decent.

Taste: Rich chocolate and cocoa powder. Very creamy with some roasted malts again. Some fresh earthy hops as well. A fairly straight forward beer, but decent none the less.

Mouthfeel: Very rich, smooth, and creamy. Full bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends roasted and dry.

Overall, a decent beer. A ton of chocolate. Very thick like a milkshake. Pretty easy to drink a pint, but very filling. I dig it, but wouldn't buy it too often.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should try sidestreet grille & pub...27 taps, plenty of seats, last call at 135 on fridays, 95% of all beers under $5.50, split checks no problem...not solely considered a beer bar, but plenty to choose from...hope to see you soon :-)

    ReplyDelete