Sunday, March 7, 2010

Flat Earth Tour

While on a beer adventure to the cities, Flat Earth Brewing happened to have a brewery tour. After leaving Town Hall and heading over to Hudson to pick up some Wisconsin beers I quickly made it back to St. Paul and found the brewery. It was a little hard to find, but Google provided decent directions this time. I arrived 5 minutes late and they had a guy outside saying the tour was full as people were still walking towards their building. Luckily I told him I was from up in Fargo and showed him my college ID and he let me sneak in since I was from far away.

I immediately understood why he said he couldn't let anybody else in as the place was packed. Right when I got in, I was handed a their Belgian Pale Ale to sample. Not bad to drink a beer and listen to the brewmaster speak about the brewery. The tour was a standing tour where everything was done in one room. After the tour was over they gave out generous sized samples of their porter, steam lager, and coffee stout. I am always a fan of their coffee stout and it is made with Dunn Bros Coffee.

Flat Earth only makes 900 barrels a year, which isn't too much. They have two smaller tanks in which they are working on some newer things it seems like. I asked them about their Flanders Red and why they don't make it more often and the reason is because it takes them over a year to make, which really cuts back their production. They said they have some kind of a sour ale developing in one of their smaller tanks right now, so hopefully that turns out well. Flat earth also hand bottles everything. I was quite shocked to hear this because I watched as they filled a bottle and it looked like it took quite a lot of time.

All in all, the tour was fun and getting to sample beer is always great. The tour is free which is another bonus. After the crowd that showed up last tour, they have no had to go to a reservation system like Surly does. I have yet to be on the Surly tour, but once I live in the TC, that will be the first on my list.

Thanks for reading!
-Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment