Sunday, January 31, 2010

Cantillon Blåbær

So yesterday marked my 700th review on BeerAdvocate, so I pulled something rare from the cellar. I went with Cantillon Blåbær, a lambic that is made specifically for a shop in Copenhagen called Olbutikken (technically you are only able to find it there, but a few shops in Europe have came up with bottles and sell them at their shops). A unique aspect about this lambic is that it is made with blueberries. Now for the review:

2009 Vintage

Poured into Lost Abbey tulip.

After I took of the cap, the cork slowly rose up, which I thought was weird. I didn’t even need a cork screw and it popped off like a rocket and hit the ceiling.

Pours a massive fluffy raspberry pink head. Fades to a thin layer and decent retention from there. Leaves some splattered lace. Color is a dark blackberry purple. Very nice looking beer.

Aroma: Wow, this is funky. Lots of sour acidic flavors. Leather and horse blanket. This beer is very funky and mouth watering. I get a nice amount of oak along with a decent amount of blueberries. It is smelling very fine.

Taste: This beer is very sour and acidic. A decent amount of vinegar flavors. I also get some cough syrup light flavors which I find to be odd. Lots of leather and horse blanket, maybe even some tobacco. Lots of oak flavors. If I didn’t know it, it would be hard to pick out the blueberries. I get more dry cherry flavors. A very nice beer, but it isn’t what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Sour with some tartness. Nothing compared to some of their other sours in terms of sourness. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends dry and oaky relatively sweet.

Overall, this is a solid beer, just nothing I was really expecting. I am really glad I got to try it, but I would be hard to trade off a bunch to try another bottle. Definitely worth a try. Pretty drinkable. I won’t have a problem with this 375. I dig it. Very unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment