Friday, April 2, 2010

Summit is off the hook! (Unchained)

So the other day I grabbed the latest Summit Unchained beer. This is the 3rd in the Series and is an India Style Rye Ale. Mike Lundell, one of the senior brewers at Summit, came up with this recipe.

Poured into bells tulip

Pours 1/2 finger of creamy beige head. Decent retention with some great lace walls. Color is a dark copper brown with a slight ruby hue. Very nice looking beer.

Aroma: Lots of spices and rye. Very malty with some roasted notes and caramel. Reminds me of campfire smoke. Has some earthy hops flavor, but mainly malt here. I really like it though. Very complex.

Taste: Lots of spices again. Crushed black pepper sticks out a lot. Rye of course. I get some bitter floral hops here which add yet another level to this beer. A decent amount of roasted/smoked malts really work with this beer. I must say I am impressed.

Mouthfeel: Roasted, smoked, and bitter. Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Ends dry with a lot of spice and rye flavors.

Overall, I am very impressed with Summit. This has to be one of the best beers to come out of their brewery. I have never met Mike, but I give props to him for this creation. Very drinkable.

If you get a chance, this one is worth picking up a 6er of. I hope the Unchained series continues to produce some wonderful beers.

Cheers,
Ben

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic beer....cool blog.
    Cheers!
    Tom (warriorsoul)

    ReplyDelete